Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Getting out of the house

As Alzheimer's progresses I've noticed it getting harder to get my Mom out of bed, that's were therapeutical fibs come in.

She can and will stay in bed all day if she is able to but I try to keep her as active as possible. When the weekends come she especially wants to stay in bed of course I let her stay in since we all need to rest but once I notice she its more of a depression or laziness I tell her that it's a weekday and she gets up really fast which works wonders. If its later in the day I try coaching her to get out if bed or tell her I have a surprise trip for her which she loves hearing Trying to find the right words can be tricky and do not work all the time that's when I'm thankful for Alzheimer's and that she will forget in ten minutes then we can try it all over again and hope for the best.

There have been times I have had to treat her as a child and be playful and tell her that the doggies will get her if she doesn't get out if bed and that has worked in the past, it's all about trial and error.

The one thing that will not work is of we as Caregivers get upset and raise our voices. They are still our loved ones and need to be showed respect even though it might be hard at times when we are stressing trying to get out the door we are running late that's why I plan our trips out of the house in the later mornings and give me a few hours to get us ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment