Thursday, March 31, 2016

Stories Compromised

As part of the progression of dementia my Mom's stories are getting jumpled, it's been happening for about over a year maybe two but there's nothing I can do then to go along with it.  The other day we went to a restaurant and someone had placed a sticker with the word "Elvis" on it, I was expecting what came out of her mouth next.

She smiled and said "I had a boyfriend once named Elvis, all the girls were after him, he had prettiest eyes."  I know all of her past boyfriends.  She continued that he was an a very popular signer and I knew she was getting Elvis Prestly confused as one of her past friends.  I let her keep talking about her "boyfriend Elvis" it was one of the times I just looked at her and she looked like she was so far away from me.  Her body is the one of my Mom but I'm loosing her slowly but in that moment she was so happy to talk about her "boyfriend Elvis" so I went along with the story let her tell me how he made her feel (a child should never hear that from a parent, just saying) but I let her go on and on and I smiled and told her she was very lucky.  Ahhh Alzheimer's you are the biggest thief out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment