Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Finding the sense of humor in Alz

As my Mom and I were going to my Sister’s place to drop something off, she sometimes gets a bit nervous and thinks I’m going to be dropping her off and going somewhere without her even though we have only done that twice and it was for me to go be gone a couple of hours. So I always tell her the same funny story so she can laugh, I tell her about when my Niece’s friend bought a new car and went to show it off and as they were leaving he was backing up and he went over a speed bump and he thought he had run over someone or something. Mom always laughs really hard and says how silly he is. So that day was no different I told her the same story, we did what we needed to do and left, then I got a call from my Niece that I forgot something so we turned back around being just 5 minutes away and I told her the same story again as we are pulling in and she turns to me in a very upset tone of voice and says, “Just because I have memory loss doesn’t mean I forget things.” Yeah, that took me a little bit to get and I tried not to break out laughing thinking okay now that’s an oxy-moron. Of course I didn’t laugh since that would make her more upset, I just tried to remain serious and do what we needed to do.

I’ve been going back to this a lot thinking of what she must be feeling when I “try” to make things easier for her and at times maybe I’m doing more harm than good especially on those moments she is more lucid than other moments. Trying to do the best sometimes can backfire and I have to just swallow it and hope for the best next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment