Saturday, April 27, 2013

Alzheimer's Advocacy trip to DC 2013

This past week, I was extremely fortunate to be part of 900 Alzheimer's Advocates who traveled from all over the country to DC to speak to our Congress Members and Senators on the impact of Alzheimer's has on the patients, loved ones and our Nation.  It was an experience that I feel any Caregiver out there should participate, although it might be very hard to be apart from the person who are taking care of, our Politicians need to hear our stories we are their Constituents after all.  Some might be more receptive than others and be willing to hear your story and others might just want the facts.

I was able to meet some amazing people with their own stories of Alzheimer's and how they managed to be a Caregiver and juggle life and knowing that I am not alone in this journey.  New friendships were made on this trip and listening to the amazing speakers we had and what they are doing for a world without Alzheimer's was inspirational.

I was also blessed to have met Glen Campbell and have a picture taken with him, I have loved his music ever since I was child and to have met him in person is a feeling I hold dear to my heart always.  To see this debilitating disease take a man I have only heard on the radio away from the talent he was given was hard to see and to realize that my Mom is not too far behind him in the stages of Alzheimer's made me extremely emotional and broke down in my hotel room wishing to be home to hold my Mom but knew she was in good hands with my Sister and Niece.

Below is a picture of part of our group who had the honor to meet with Congressman Dana Rohrabacher.





No comments:

Post a Comment