Thursday, September 6, 2012

5 year anniversary


5 years ago on 9/5/07, my Sister, Niece and Nephew and I walked into the Alzheimer's Association one sunny morning no longer as Volunteers but now as Clients :( Our Mom had a Doctor's appointment that afternoon to be officially diagnosed with Alzheim
er's although we already knew deep down but were in denial for years. I had been there dozens and dozens of times as a Volunteer since my Grandmother passed away from the disease in 2004 but this time I was so nervous and scared that as I waited for my Sis and her kids to get there I went to use to the bathroom but accidentally used the Men's room and didn't even notice until after our Family Orientation my Nephew pointed out that I had used the wrong restroom and didn't even notice it and we all laughed/cried. Since then that's exactly what we have been doing laughing and crying as we see this horrible disease take away our beautiful Mom/Grandmother from us everyday little by little, it's a disease I don't wish on my worse enemy. It's the most heartbreaking disease to see the woman who was your strength and rock for so many years look at you with those vacant eyes at times not being able to get the right word to answer something or remember who she just got off the phone with. Please help and be part of finding a cure for this disease that affects 1 out of 8 people over the age of 65 and 1 out of 2 over the age of 85. You can come out to our Zumbathons on 9/9 in Corona or 9/16 in Huntington Beach and/or be part of A Walk to Remember Team on 9/22. Thank you and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment